Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Blast from the Past

I recently signed up for a My Space account in order to look at some of my other friends' pages. I don't blog or anything over there...I will not cheat on you Blogger! Well low and behold someone found me. My old boyfriend from high school, Jeff, looked me up and sent me an email. So we have been chatting via email for the last few days. (nothing weird...I more think of him as a brother type pal than anything else) When I asked Dan if it made him feel jealous he just laughed at me.
You know it's funny. Over the last few years he has been on my mind alot and I never knew how to contact him. I couldn't understand why he would be popping into my thoughts so much. When that happens, I just figure that person must need prayer about something. As it turns out Jeff has been through so much in the last 2 years. He is in the army and has been deployed to Kosovo and Afganistan as well as having his marriage take a turn for the worst. He has been through hell. I can understand why now he has been so often in my heart to pray for him.
He was the sweetest guy back in the day. It'll be fun to get to know him again.
I remember when he married his wife back in 1998 he came to town and called me to invite me to his reception. I was so surprised he was married, but really happy for him. Dan and I had been dating for a year or so, but he was out to sea on his midshipman cruise to Japan. So I decided to go alone. My mom told me she thought it was a bad idea. Whatever for??
So I went and saw his family who I had totally loved and missed seeing. I'm not sure how his wife felt about me being there so I started feeling uncomfortable. Then one by one different guests started coming up to me and putting their hands on my shoulder saying things like, "How are you holding up?" or "This must be hard for you." I felt eyes on me looking at me like I was about to have a meltdown over my broken heart that he had married someone else. It never really 0ccured to me that people would think that! Jeff and I dated when were kids and never really planned on getting married and we stayed good friends after that. I was so embarrassed that I walked into the garage and burst into tears. To make the moment even more humiliating Jeff's brother was in the there. He was this gruff mean looking guy who was always SO sweet to me. He came over and gave me a hug and said, "I always hoped it would have been you." For God's sake, what kind of hell trap did I get myself into?? I collected myself and got the heck out of dodge. How humiliating. My face is red just thinking about it after all these years.
After that I will never go to a wedding alone!!

20 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

I think she thought Dan would be jealous. I could run through the streets naked and he wouldn't care. But it was pretty awful anyway. Live and learn

Catch said...

poor thing...and when you started crying Im sure they thought it was about your old boyfriend...yep! Us Moms know best ;))

Jessia Snow said...

Wow, run through the streets naked? That's a good way to get to know the neighbors! Be sure to wear your pink cowgirl boots when you do it though.

The Domesticator said...

Or at least you won't go to an ex-boyfriend's wedding alone again! Gee, sorry it turned out to be so embarassing for you. I must admit, I don't think I could do it...I would probably feel too awkward.

I think it is cute that you told your husband and he laughed. That shows that you have a solid, trusting relationship.

Louisiana said...

Hi. Here send by Dr. John.

Yumm, cherries...cherries...everywhere they are selling them here. Stands in all parking lots from British Columbia with delicious, juice cherries...i have been avoiding them but they are not far from my mind and now i have to give in as i cannot seem to a real comment without admiring your cherries, lol...

old boyfriends and present are a scary mix for me. i had a BAD experience many moons ago but i can read you are in a totally different place and won't get hurt, so i'm very glad for that.

Christina_the_wench said...

You poor thing. Sometimes we think we're doing the right thing and others make us feel differently. I think it was very mature of you to want to go and that you actually went? Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I'm betting his new wife wasn't exactly thrilled to have you at the reception. My husband invited one of his ex's to ours. I'd rather he hadn't.

Sent by Dr. John.

Cindy said...

I know what you went through- I stayed friends with the guy I almost married. No one knows me better than he did/does and we always had this connection that never went away even though we both went our separate ways. We still stay in contact but my husband knows that it's no threat to him whatsoever. Don't get too caught up with what those people may have thought. I got here via Dr. John- you gotta love him!

Catch said...

IM back again...by way of Dr John!!!!!

Catch said...

IM back again...by way of Dr John!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gingers Mom said...

Frankly when I look back on all that it makes me laugh. How silly it all was. How silly for people to assume.
I wouldn't say that we have this amazing connection or anything like that. He's just a nice guy and an old friend that was good to hear from again.

Gingers Mom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gingers Mom said...

Stupid blogger....I love you but you are dumb today.

jafabrit said...

hi there, dr. john sent me.

oh gosh, here you were just wanting to see an old pal at his wedding and it got taken all the wrong way, arg!!!! how embarrassing and annoying. don' tyou hate it when people make assumptions.

take care.

Caro said...

I'm glad you have a husband who will let you talk with your ex.

That's a good husband.

Gingers Mom said...

I didn't have a hard time getting over him...I went to college. So there pppbbbbtttt!
AND HE DID NOT WEAR BICYCLE PANTS!

Catch said...

back again......thanks to Dr John!!!!!!

Gingers Mom said...

Ok, glad to have you all but what is up with the Dr. John thing?

Rob, I think you made up the whole bicycle shorts thing. I do not believe you...you have no proof. He was never that snappy of a dresser, so he probably wore a Metallica t shirt to the wedding

Crazedmomof4 said...

You & your brother are too much! I'm glad my brother doesn't blog. :D

My hubby gets very upset if an ex's name is brought up. Especially a certain one, who I dated when I was 17. That ex's mom made the sausage for my hubbies & mine's wedding & baked a whole lot of cookies. I was close to his family even after we broke up. Even though his mom did a lot for my wedding, my hubby made me stop being friends with her.

Sounds like you got a good guy there & a funny brother!;)