Monday, June 05, 2006

The In-Laws...the other ones

We went to see my in-laws yesterday. No my MIL, but the "other ones". That would be my FIL, Ronnie and his wife, Gloria. We have not seen them in months. Our last visit with them ended with FIL telling us that Savannah was not a good kid and needed to be spanked more often for basically every little thing that she does. Don't get me started.
Now, I can tolerate the other ones better than MIL, I am not sure why. They have at least made an effort with Dan and I to get along and help us out. But Dan did TOTALLY blow it with them unintentionally. He forgot to call them when Breydan was born. Big mistake. He got an earful for that one.
They let us know that we are in danger of being "cut off" by Dan's grandmother. She is old and grouchy and is threatening to do so because Dan does not call or visit. Perhaps becasue she IS actually mean and grouchy....hmmmm.... Dan's family is a deep well that I can draw from. I'm sure one day I will get fed up and tell you all about them. I am so glad Dan turned out normal. Now let me tell you, Dan is a great guy. He puts up with SO much junk from his family. They aren't a openly loving and communicative bunch. He visits his parents and grandmother when he can and when he can tolerate it, usually only to be met with nastiness. He does love them anyway, God help him. And I respect him for that...and love him even more for his loyalty. I feel very lucky to have the fantastic family that I have. At least we can depend on them to be normal....well maybe not normal...but loving and kind.

8 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

Oh yikes!
I'm sorry:(
They sound like my old family.I know how it feels when they pull BS like that.

Caro said...

Ah families are so fun, aren't they - much like surgery without anesthetic.

Anonymous said...

As you know we have spent many hours contemplating murder where our extended family is involved. I still think our two families should fight to the death. "N" v.s. "E", now that would be a fight!!!!

Miss you.
Shan

Gingers Mom said...

Ohhhh...it would be bloody and nasty. We could sell popcorn!

Gingers Mom said...

Carolyn - I see you have the pleasures of glorious inlaws as well? I'm always up for swapping MIL stories - those are my favorite.
Ms. L - I figure, at least I don't have to share with these people. My family is great thank God!

Anonymous said...

I gotta say, I've felt a huge relief as a result of off-loading that obnoxious former MIL. Yikes!

I'm spending the weekend with the new in-laws. Hopefully you WON'T be hearing any stories come Monday.

Glitterstim said...

You know, I have yet to meet a man with a "normal" family. My ex-husband's family included an uncle with gambling addiction who really, truly believed that aliens assassinated Kennedy. My MIL wanted us to make our wedding cake from tofu, so it would cost less. Oh, they're a fun bunch.

You in-laws sound a lot like my boyfriend's late mother. She actually told him once to "do the world a favor and kill yourself." She refused to acknowledge his accomplishments, even when she was dying.

How these man make it through to a functioning adulthood, I don't know. Much praise to your Dan! Growing up with that isn't easy!

Take care!
Blogget

Miss Kelly said...

OMG I love that comment about the surgery without anisthetic. Brilliant!
My current in-laws live on the other side of the country so I absolutely ADORE them. They can do no wrong. They're coming to visit in a few weeks and we're going camping together. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm sure it'll be great though - they are wonderful, loving people.
I have always loved the Schmidts - they're great people with big, beautiful hearts and always treated me like family. Even when the big brothers were torturing us.