Friday, February 12, 2010

Creative Spelling

Vincent is in Kindergarten.  They have a way of teaching them to write now called "Creative spelling".  It involves just writing down the letters you hear.  A "wing it" approach.

It is cute and I actually like it.  It makes for fun letters to Grandma and Poppa.  "I lv you.  Cm c me soon."  etc. 

Dan, love of my life, has his own version of creative spelling. 

Vincent and Brady are both big into learning how things are spelled.  So, now they ask us to give them words so they can try to spell it out. 

The other day we were in the car on the way home (from church, mind you).

Dan:  How do you spell  "Assume"?

Kids:  A...S....uh....  (much giggling from Dan)

Dan:  How do you spell "Ship"?

Kids:  S....h....i....(more giggling)

And his favorite of all

Dan:  Spell "Country"

Kids:  C.....u....n....t....r...y

He almost had to pull the car over for this one.

Only daddies get such satisfaction from having their kids sound out naughty words. 

Much eye rolling by Gingers Mom.....

3 comments:

m. christine weber said...

This is way too funny! It's like some genetic default in men!

Anonymous said...

OMG. Wrong, and yet so, so funny! My kiddos have one of those caterpillars that makes the phonetic sounds of each of the letters, allowing you to put the letters together to form words. Guess what hubby and I have done more than once after the kids have gone to bed?

Danifred said...

Sounds like an afternoon at our house. My husband and I are constantly yelling out "that's what she said" every time the toddler talks! :)