Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sprouting

My kids are growing too fast. I hear it is an epidemic. Little ones going to bed one night and waking up full grown. It seems to be happening in our house. And oh how, most days, I really hate it.

Red is in her last week of Kindergarten. Soon she will be a first grader and in REAL school. School where they hunt you down and arrest you for not taking them kind of school. As if that wasn't bad enough, she has to go and lose her first tooth. Which was a wild ride of drama.
She came home from school and decided to eat a tortilla. Next thing you know she comes tearing into the room screaming and blood all over her face and the unsuspecting tortilla. Lots of screaming and begging not to touch it later, out pops a little baby tooth. So small and kind of disgusting. I remember that tooth growing in. I remember that tooth biting me and drawing blood while breastfeeding. I remember the sleepless nights because of that tooth. And still, I am sad to see it gone. And that little gap sitting in front is another reminder that I may wake up tomorrow and Red will be off in college.

On the other end of the spectrum we have little Boo who is well on his way of potty training. I can't imagine a life without diapers and a huge box of Kirkland brand wipes. I wouldn't even know how to clean half the messes in my house without those handy wipes. But here he is my littlest hooligan maneuvering his way through toddlerhood at an amazing speed while I just stand by and watch. However do you stop this? My once very quiet little baby is jabbering non stop and says new things every day. I can't believe how much he is talking now. How I miss the baby days that are becoming non-existent in our house. Another chapter creaking closed as I watch teary eyed.

At night as I tuck Red, Stinky and Boo into bed I tickle them and beg them to stop growing. JUST STOP!

Red puts her not so chubby little hands on my face and says, "I have to mom. I know you don't want me to, but I just have to grow up."

It's just too fast, love.

7 comments:

Dr.John said...

And then one day it will be your grandchildren that are growing too fast. Mine certainly are.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I know this feeling only too well! I have been crying off and on since yesterday afternoon...when Junior Mayhem's uniforms arrived in the mail for kindergarten. My baby...is starting kindergarten! *sigh*

I suppose we have no choice! :)

Cute pic of the kids!

Ginny said...

The older they get the faster it goes. It is so bittersweet. You love who they are becoming but you miss what they were! Just enjoy every minute of it!

Caro said...

Since my oldest just graduated HS, I know exactly what you mean.

It passed in the wink of an eye. :-(

Mz.Elle said...

Aww so sweet!
I know your pain.
One day I was holding my baby boy the next he's 15.
It really does go by so quick.
NOT FAIR!

Sherri Sanders said...

awww.... you've got beautiful kidlets! :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe it either! We still have a picture of you and red at our wedding with just little sprouts of crimson hair! Lip quivering when you talked about the tooth......Joshua is starting kindergarten.