Thursday, June 29, 2006

Toasty?

The other day I decided to make a cake for my neighbor, Jim and his wife Maggie. They are the sweet older couple who live across the street who helped me out with Btom and gave popcicles to the kids. They're great neighbors. So I whipped up some of my Ponderosa cake. I had enough for 2 cakes, so I put them in those disposable tin cake pans. They turned out beautifully. I took them out of the oven and left them on the stove to cool.
A while later the kids were hungry so I decided to make them some noodles for lunch. I put a pot of water on and then wandered back into the office to do some more blogging (addict??). After some time, I realized I had forgotten about the noodles. Oh well...kept blogging. Then I heard the smoke alarm. BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP!! I ran out of the office letting out an expletive, that shall remain nameless, slip out and ran into the kitchen/family room. There are my kids, mindlessly watching TV and oblivious to the room that is FILLED with smoke. Hmmm, I stop to ponder....they really watch too much TV...oh wait...back to the smoke. I looked over at the stove and see that one of the cakes is on fire. Actual FLAMES. So I grab a dishtowel and start whacking away at them. By now, the Red Beast is standing behind me yelling and pointing, "Fire, fire FIRE! Bwahahahahaha!!!" and laughing hysterically. Maybe I should be talking to my kids a little more about the dangers of fire and seriousness of burns?
When I finally get the fire out, I realize that I had turned on the wrong burner and the pot of water was sitting there still cool. Makes you wonder why I didn't just us that to put out the flames?

8 comments:

Crazedmomof4 said...

I've had moments like that through the years & kids are always helpful in those times.

I hope no major damage was done & sorry about the cakes. :( I'm sure they would have tasted yummy.

Linda said...

oh no!!!
I have found out thru experience more than once blogging and cooking does not go together.
What is Ponderosa cake?? I have a sweet tooth. :)

Gingers Mom said...

MMMM ponderosa cake is a cake made with bananas and chocolate. SO gooey and yummy. I have the recipe posted on my other blog
kristinsyummies.blogspot.com. You'll love it. And I even hate bananas!

Unknown said...

That is funny! One for the books. That is what I love about blogging. Totally records the funnier events. (Maybe not so funny at the time!) Yeah a mom friend 's son about Josh's age knows what to do in an emergency, his address, his phone number, etc.......When people ask Josh's name he exclaims, "I'm 2!" very proudly. Yes, something I need to work at too!

Gingers Mom said...

That is funny, Nicki. If asked what his name is, Vincent will answer "Yellow." If asked how old he is he will answer "Yellow" and so on.

Miss Kelly said...

Oh no! Not to give you a lecture or anything, but I went out on a claim a few weeks ago where the mom had put the bottles in the pot of water to sterilize and then they went out. Almost burnt their whole house down! I'm so paranoid of fires because of my job.
On the other hand, my son is 8 and doesn't know his home phone number. He has my business card in his backpack though.

Caro said...

When we lived in San Jose, the smoke alarm always went off when dinner was finished. We called it our dinner bell.

Gingers Mom said...

Carolyn - LOL. That happens to me all the time. Dinner is downright delicious around here....