Friday, April 28, 2006

Just me and my boys

It's just me and my boys this weekend. Dan is taking Savannah on a camping trip with her preschool at the beach somewhere up the coast. (this should be non stop fun! hee hee) I thought it was a great idea so that they could have some bonding time together. Savannah needs that a lot. She has been really emotional lately and anxious about where her daddy is at all times. So this trip should be good for them. She got a brand new Dora sleeping bag - which is a surprise - so she is going to be stoked. She has never been camping before - neither have I for that matter!! Dan really wants us all to go as a family, but it's not for me. I suppose I'll have to try it at least once, but with a newborn the chances are pretty slim that I'll get out there anytime soon.
So this weekend it's just me and my boys. I don't know what we'll do. Maybe I'll take Stinky to the park or something. He is easy to please, he's just happy to be invited. I'm gonna put them to bed early and crack open a bottle of wine and watch crap TV and pack some boxes. Sounds like bliss.
I think it is really important that each child gets some alone time with each parent. That gets hard when you have so many kids....
When I was growing up, we had something called "Date with Daddy". About once a month he would take me out for a "date" just me and him. Sometimes my mom would come too, but I had them all to myself. I have great memories of ice cream at Dairy Queen, the movies, or lunch at Eatons (for you Canadians out there) . I always used to choose green jello to eat - cut up into little cubes and served in a fancy glass with a little dollop of whipped cream on top. I remember it so clearly. Those days were important to me. I want my kids to have those kinds of memories too. I hope this weekend will be one of those great memories that will last in Savannah.

5 comments:

Caro said...

You're such a good Mom!

I never had special time that I can remember.

I mostly remember my Mom sending me outside to play because she was busy. In her defense, she really was though.

Miss Kelly said...

That sounds so nice, Kris. You ARE a great mom! I've done that with my kids (more Evan) and it makes such a difference!
Eatons - ha, funny. I had many Breakfast's with Santa there.

Unknown said...

Cute picture of Savannah! She is getting so big. I remember when she was just a tiny thing! If and when we come back she'll be close to 7 wow! I hope that she has fun with Daddy this weekend and that the boys have fun with Mommy! Took Josh up to Toys R US in Yokohama last week and had a really fun time. It's fun to have that time together. I passed on Preschool this year just so I could have 1 more year (he's only two and a half for crying out loud) that, and I had to have him potty trained by September and I had to get up at 4:00 in the morning to make sure I got a spot! :) Just not ready to let go yet.

Anonymous said...

Ah... Eaton's. What great memories.

Date with Daddy = adorable. That is the sweetest thing I've heard all week. I hope they had a great time.

Gingers Mom said...

Thanks to all of you. I try to keep things special for the kids - its to balance out all the guilt for the therapy the will need after I raise them.